There are currently no open positions with the Greenburgh Nature Center. To be considered for any future career opportunities, please send a cover letter and resume to Megan Bryant at email@example.com
The Green Business Partnership program is seeking qualified college-level interns to work with Westchester-based organizations on advancing their internal sustainability efforts leading to green business certification. Prior to beginning the internship, students will participate in a two-day training session at the Greenburgh Nature Center to learn more about the Green Business Partnership program, sample projects and internship expectations.
ABOUT GREEN BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP: GREEN BUSINESS PARTNERSHIP (GBP) is a Business Council of Westchester program administered in partnership with Westchester County since 2009. The program provides a diverse range of businesses in Westchester County, NY with a toolkit to successfully integrate sustainable business practices into company operations. Business professionals learn exactly where resources are being wasted and identify opportunities to increase efficiency and save money. Proprietary performance tools are used to calculate the economic and environmental impacts of energy, travel, waste, water and refrigerants in an organization, while staff surveys gauge behavioral impacts. Green Business Partnership participants are recognized as green business leaders across diverse industry sectors.
ABOUT THE GREENBURGH NATURE CENTER: The Greenburgh Nature Center’s vision is to be a leader in the region for environmental education and best sustainable practices, while providing enriching hands-on visitor experiences and a venue for community activities. We will continue to offer exciting, unique, and interactive educational programs for people of all ages, as well as a range of community activities to engage people, businesses, and governmental entities with each other on environmental sustainability issues, while aiming to instill in future generations an appreciation for and will to protect nature.
INTERN WILL LEARN AND BE EXPOSED TO:
● Performance measurement/greenhouse gas accounting tools that calculate a business’s environmental impacts of energy, travel, waste, water and/or refrigerants
● Green Action Checklist that provides businesses with guidance for reducing their environmental impacts, and opportunity to be involved in the implementation of these action items.
● Assist with helping Greenburgh Nature Center maintain and build upon Green Business Partnership certification
● Examples of tasks include the collection of the necessary documentation for staying certified and assisting with implementation of new green initiatives at the participating organization.
This may include:
– Collecting information in the areas of organizational commitment, energy, waste, green purchasing, land use, and water.
– Data collection for greenhouse gas emission inventories and use of Excel-based tool to input GHG data.
– Review of organization’s environmental messaging on website and social media.
– Maintaining zero waste recycling and composting programs
– Write weekly green tips to staff
● Assistance with communications, including presentations, website and/or social media
● Analysis of green purchasing options
● Development of educational materials related to green business practices
● Increase company awareness to specific market
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Great “people skills” – comfortable engaging with business professionals on green initiatives
● Highly organized with ability to independently manage projects and drive them to conclusion
● Demonstrated interest in environmental sustainability
● Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel preferred
● Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint)
● Skilled with social media, SEM, SEO, YouTube
SCHEDULE and COMPENSATION:
● Flexible hours per week: Monday – Thursday, Saturday – Sunday anytime between 9am-5pm
● For-credit internship opportunities available for Spring, Summer, and Fall
● Location: Greenburgh Nature Center, 99 Dromore Road – Scarsdale, NY 10583
● For more information on the Green Business Partnership, visit www.westchestergreenbusinesscertified.org
● To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to: Rachel Carpitella, firstname.lastname@example.org with “Green Business Internship” in the subject.
In your cover letter, please include all the following information:
– Please indicate whether you would like to participate in the Spring, Summer, or Fall programs.
– Please mention how many hours you are available to work per week, and your preferred weekly schedule.
The Greenburgh Nature Center offers two unique internship opportunities to work with our organization, a leader in environmental education in southern Westchester County. We offer one nine-month school year internship from September through May and one summer internship from June through August. This is a fantastic opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills, and the confidence to educate the public while furthering our mission to ignite passion, curiosity, and respect for our natural world.
The principal roles of the intern are:
(1) to teach our educational programs to grades K-6;
(2) to assist in the care and maintenance of the Center’s animals and their facilities; and
(3) to present animals to the visiting public, of which the primary participants are children between the ages of 2 to 8. The intern is also expected to help supervise the activities of the high school volunteers who help in our Animal Museum.
We provide training for the teaching of our educational programs and the care of our animals.
18 years of age or older
Some College experience
Experience with children and/or animals
A genuine liking and interest in the environment, children, and animals
Comfortable handling animals
College major in a related field (e.g., natural sciences, pre-vet, education, etc.)
Work Days and Hours
Determined for each applicant.
Mail or email a resume, cover letter, and three relevant references we can contact to:
Greg Wechgelaer, Intern Coordinator and Senior Naturalist
Greenburgh Nature Center
99 Dromore Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583